Traditional thinking has been that protecting intellectual property creates a defence against competitors. However, developing an intellectual property portfolio on strong foundations of protection can also serve as a competitive strategy to win market share.
Baldwins offers services for protecting intellectual property of all types - patents, plant variety rights, trade marks, copyright, designs, confidential information, trade secrets and domain names. These services include:
- Advising on legal rights and remedies for obtaining IP protection under New Zealand law and in other countries around the world.
- Carrying out searches in New Zealand and in more than 60 countries, to determine novelty, the availability for use and whether or not conflicting designs, patents or trade marks have already been registered.
- Advising on validity and whether an invention, design or trade mark can be registered.
- Managing applications for patents, designs, trade marks, and plant variety rights, including full documentation.
- Developing and implementing filing strategies.
- Prosecuting applications through to grant.
- Advising on domain name portfolios including suitability of names already registered, negotiating purchase of domain names from third parties, recovery of infringing domain names, as well as managing registrations and renewals.
- Watching Services.